Wednesday

Workspace Wednesday - what the Yams ate in a day


 


In this week's Workspace Wednesday, I'm sharing what the Yams ate in a day....aka what I cooked for the day. *winks*

First up, for breakfast, I attempted last week's oatmeal cake again with tweaks to make it more "flavourful" because my sister said my first go was "forgettable". *insert sad music* Which usually happens when you mix some basic ingredients, pour them in a pan and just bake. Plus oatmeal with milk is not something I particularly enjoy because it's just too gooey for me. But I do love a custard...and I love it when there's a surprise with every mouthful. (All the fine-dining over the years have finally paid off..hahaha).

So, I added a drizzle of raw honey to the main mixture and replaced the blueberries with bananas. I also caramelised the apples with a sprinkle of sugar and cinnamon. Then I topped it off with toasted walnuts.

It smelled awesome...as it was baking and when it came out of the oven. The food critic said it was so much better than the first version . :)


For lunch we had pan-fried pork with lemon sauce. This is a family fave which I recently added back on rotation. I don't really enjoy the hassle of coating the meat with potato starch, then pan-frying and then making a sauce. But I decided that I could make 3 decent simple dishes to eat with rice or I make just 2 dishes but put in a little more effort in the two...you know quality over quantity. (I've recently started pickling veggies so I take that out and serve that as an additional dish.)


The veggie dish was bitter melon with eggs and tomato. My sister hates the bitter taste so I had to put in extra effort to add other flavours to distract from the bitterness. I watched a couple of YouTube videos and improvised with ingredients I had on hand. I caramelised the onions and tomato first. Then I added dried scallops and homemade chicken broth and finished off with the eggs and a little salt. It was actually pretty good (For my 3rd attmpt...hehehe).


For dinner, we had a salad - some greens with avocado, pickled cucumbers and mango in a homemade vinaigrette dressing.(Really simple because I started on dinner late....and you know people are "dying" of hunger if dinner is late...*LOL*)


We had steamed chicken with shiitake mushrooms.


The most time-consuming dish was this panfried pork and potato patties. I had to steam the potatoes first, then mash them and mix it with the minced meat and diced onion before shaping them and coating them with a little potato starch. The pan-frying part was easy except for the diced onions not sticking to the patties. A problem I would have eliminated had I made an actual batter. But who has time when family members are "starving" right? I mean I really really wanted to make a dipping sauce for this dish but I served up bottled chilli sauce *dramatic music plays in the background*.

And that my friends, is what the Yams ate yesterday.


Share/Bookmark

Pin It

2 comments:

Cindy deRosier said...

Yum! I would have been very happy being a Yam yesterday.

Lizzyc said...

Wow your family eat like royalty!! so much food... you present amazing food to them.. looks delicious.. pat yourself on the back.. that is a fine effect for one day!

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It