Friday

New recipes I tried this week



Hello friends. You know how I like to challenge myself even when I'm a little pressed for time? (I believe a little periodic stress is good for the body...*winks*). Well, check out the new recipes I tried out this week  for family breakfast. 

First up is the baked oatmeal with apples and blueberries. I saw this recipe on YouTube across a few different channels and thought I would give it a go. It's basically a rehash of the classic oatmeal and milk brekkie. It's super simple...you soak the oatmeal in milk for 5-10minutes until it becomes thick and resembles a paste. In the meanwhile, you whisk one egg with a little sugar, a pinch of salt and some baking powder. Then you mix them together and pour into a greased pan. Add some berries and chopped up apples...and bake for 40 minutes at 180C/350F.

I did add some chia seeds to my mixture for some extra fibre. The verdict: a soft custardy version of oatmeal with milk. Personally, I think it needs a little more flavour because it tastes quite one dimensional. While the apple bits gave it a slight crunch, I think I would add some nuts to the recipe for additional crunch and texture. And maybe some cinnamon for added flavour.



Next up was caramelised banana crepes. This was a recipe I pulled out from a book I recently borrowed from the library. I didn't get a chance to do a taste test on it because the yield was supposed to be 8 crepes but I ended up with just 5 so the folks ate them. I am going to assume it was pretty good because there wasn't any complaints.


I also made my first frittata. Yep, I love eggs but I've never made a frittata before *dramatic music plays in the background*.

I caramelised the onions then added red and yellow peppers and some chopped up portobello mushroom. They were lightly seasoned with a little salt and pepper. Then I added them to a baking tray and poured the egg, milk and cheese mixture. The tin then went into the oven for 20 minutes.

Verdict: It turned out pretty yummy. For me. My sister complained that it wasn't substantial and she felt like she didn't have breakfast. I will add bacon and some carbs veggies in the mix next time to make it more filling.

What about you? Did you try out any new recipes this week?


Share/Bookmark

Pin It

2 comments:

Cindy deRosier said...

There needs to be a rule that if you make it, you get to taste some. Everything looks good! I didn't try any new "recipes" this week, per se, but I did put items together in combinations I haven't done before. I made a pasta last night with chicken and beet greens with garlic oil that was really tasty.

Lizzyc said...

You cook amazingly! I tried out a new slice recipe last week.. it was yummy.. It had marshmallow on top.. yum!

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It