Wednesday

The one about my hardworking sourdough starter


 


So my sourdough starter Blossom and her posse live in my fridge (a few small jars). Every few weeks, one of them gets a massive feeding 1:5:5 and starts to work hard for me. *winks*


I know a lot of bakers tend to feed their starters a few times (over a few days) before they start using them if the starters have been hibernating in the fridge. But I find that a massive feeding one day prior to using it works for me. Especially since I'm using the starter as the base for my levain so it does get another feeding before I use it to bake.

I will usually try to make a variety of bakes once I feed my starter...to maximize the "effort". :) I don't want to feed my starter every day and keep the discard for something else because of fridge/freezer space constraints. Plus I live in a hot and humid climate...my sourdough starter ferments in a few hours and gets a tad too sour for my taste if it lives at room temperature.


Anyway, a whole chunk of it goes to make sourdough pancakes.




And 2 free-standing loaves to practise my dough shaping and oven spring skills. :)


And some sandwich bread for the old folks who find the standard sourdough crust too hard to bite.


Lots of bits and bobs from some happy mail I got recently. 



Playing along with Stick It Down.


Share/Bookmark

Pin It

8 comments:

Cindy deRosier said...

Sourdough is my #1 favorite food. Great layout!

Lynn said...

Seeing your baked goods always reminds me that I need to bake more often. I love homemade bread and scones and cookies and brownies and pies and........! Love your whimsical layout.

Lizzyc said...

Wow I dont know anything about sour dough.. what an education I just got.. and fabulous layout too..

Jan Mosier said...

I miss the grilled cheese sandwiches made with sourdough bread when I use to attend the farmers market. Your layout is fantastic and I love how you interpreted the sketch to make it your own! Thanks for playing along with us this month at Stick It Down!

Tammy Folk said...

What an absolutely great take on the sketch!! I'm totally in love with your layout and I'm swooning over all the pretty mixed embellishments! Thanks for playing along with us at Stick it Down this month.

Melissa Hill said...

Awesome photos and pretty embellishing. Thanks for joining us at SID

Attic Inspired Crafter said...

wowsers! This page made me hungry :) I love the soft tones and the journal you did. Thanks for joining us over at Stick it Down! Sherry ~DT

Ashley H said...

I love your baking pages. You are a woman of many talents! Love how you interpreted this sketch. Thanks for joining us:)

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It