Thursday

Sourdough journey update


 


It's been a while since I last shared my sourdough experiments and it's time for a sourdough journey update.


I've been baking a lot less bread than when I first started because of storage issues. Seriously. There's only a teeny weeny amount of bread you can freeze in your freezer because you have to store other food too.

Also, the other Yam family members actually don't really enjoy sourdough bread. Mainly because they are lazy and impatient. Sourdough bread needs to be toasted so that the edges are crispy and the bread is soft and the butter spread just melts on it. Even though the frozen bread pieces are sliced, it still takes about 25 minutes to toast them in the oven for optimal enjoyment. Of course, to speed up the time, the other Yams will crank up the oven temperature and then complain that the bread is too hard/dry. *dramatic horror music plays in the background*

So now I just make them sourdough pancakes/waffles (which is way more popular) and make sure I have some scones and muffins on hand too. Yep, I'm making sourdough everything. *winks*


And for the past month, my focus has been to perfect the sourdough breads that I personally enjoy like this Tangzhong sourdough bread. Tangzhong is a technique which involves cooking a portion of the flour and liquid first and then adding it back to the bread mixture which in turn produces a soft and fluffy bread with a longer shelf life.


And sourdough focaccia...which is my backup for lazy days of soup and salad. This one the Yams will actually eat without complaining because I would serve the focaccia warm and toasted. 


I'm pretty happy with the oven spring I've been able to achieve without any specialized equipment. My bread dough is shaped and placed on baking paper in a round Ikea soup bowl (instead of a banneton basket) for bulk fermentation. Instead of a cast iron pan, I bake my bread in a Corningware casserole dish. Plus my oven's maximum tempertature is 240c/460f which is lower than the recommended baking temperature of 260c/500f. 


Can you tell that I had fun incorporating a girl, a kite and a pear on my layout? *LOL*

Playing along with The Studio Challenges.


Share/Bookmark

Pin It

4 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ha! I love that they are too impatient to wait for it to be ready! LOL! That is funny!!! This is awesome! Loving how you added the girl and the pear!

Maya Yang said...

Stunning layout! Love your paper choices and the layering on this page. Thank you so much for joining us at The Studio Challenges this month!

Cindy deRosier said...

Your bread looks amazing! Could you speed up the toast time by defrosting in the microwave and then popping slices in the toaster?

Shelly said...

WONDERFUL layout and your bread looks amazing!! I can relate to having storage issues in the freezer. lol And it's nice when you find something everyone can enjoy...sometimes with my kiddos I'll get them divided down the middle and other times not so much, but when everyone likes something...Winning! lol ;) Enjoy your sourdough treats! :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It