Friday

Mid-Autumn Festival 2019



The Mid-Autumn Festival is celebrated on the 15th day of the 8th month of the Chinese Lunar Calendar. This day is traditionally thought to be auspicious for weddings as the moon goddess is believed to extend conjugal bliss to couples. This year, it falls on Friday the 13th so I'm thinking this year is an iffy year. *LOL*

Anyway, the significance of the Mid-Autumn Festival revolves around the gathering of family and friends . It is said that the moon is the brightest and roundest on this day (go away haze, we want to see the moon!). A full moon symbolizes prosperity and reunion for the whole family. Children typically carry lit lanterns around the neighbourhood as part of the celebrations.



And as with all family gatherings, food is involved and it is aptly called a mooncake. :)

Typical mooncakes are round pastries with a rich thick filling made from red bean or lotus seed paste encased in a thin crust and may contain yolks from salted duck eggs. They are usually served in small wedges with tea. 


Traditional mooncakes are baked but there are also different variations of mooncakes that are not baked and can thus "accommodate" a wide variety of other fillings like ice-cream....

Look at those cute pigs!!!


And chocolate....!!!

Actually, I was more interested in the wooden box. Hahaha!


It is an extremely profitable business with a box of 4 mooncakes going for as high as S$100/US$70 depending on the brand and the type of filling. Pictured: TWG tea with 2 mooncakes at S$70/US$50.

This is when all the credit cards you own come into play in order to achieve maximum savings because certain bank cards offer a higher discount rate.


It gets a little gimmicky too...check out these Hello Kitty mooncakes in a fancy jewellery box.


Clearly, the price is in the packaging. Look aways crafters!


I'm always on the lookout for ones I can decorate of course. *winks*

I went to the largest local Mid-Autumn Festival Fair at Takashimaya Ngee Ann City Singapore to check out this year's offerings. If you have always wanted to try a mooncake, you can probably find it at a Chinatown or an Asian Supermarket. My fave is a traditional baked mooncake with nuts and meat - a mix of savoury sweetness....like salted caramel. Yum.

I'm off to go admire the full moon, savour some mooncakes and drink my bottle of Riesling (Chinese tea keeps me up at night!). Happy weekend friends!:)


P/s: Check out 12 ways to decorate a mooncake box.


Share/Bookmark

Pin It

6 comments:

Lisa said...

What an interesting post!! I loved learning about the Mid-Autumn Festival!! And of course now I really want to try a moooncake!! Have a great weekend!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhhhh I would love to visit there!!!! The boxes alone would have me handing over my credit card!! LOL!!!!

~amy~ said...

oh how FUN! Love all the photos!

Cindy deRosier said...

Ooh, I didn't think about trying an Asian supermarket. There's a good one in the next town over. I totally want to try a mooncake. Not at those prices, though! Maybe the store will have them on clearance over the next few days.

Lynn said...

Gosh, this post made my mouth water for moon cakes. Like you I would consider the box before purchasing the cakes. LOL! Thanks for all the cool info about the celebration for the full moon.

Heather McMahon said...

These look amazing! I want to try a chocolate one - although perhaps not as those sorts of prices!

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It