Wednesday

Travel diary: Chatuchak Weekend Market in Bangkok



I was recently in Bangkok and flew in on a Sunday just so that I could visit the Chatuchak Weekend Market. It's only open on Saturdays and Sundays.


It is a HUGE market - the largest in Asia - and they sell everything - from food to plants to shoes to bags to clothes to pets to (insert anything you can think of). Yep, you can download an app to help you navigate through the massive market. I spent 4 hours there and probably covered like 1/10 of the place.


Local handicraft....I was tempted to get the wooden owls but I didn't.


If you want to get local souvenirs, this market is your best bet. You can bargain a little but prices here are already pretty cheap. 100 Baht is about US$3.25.



Kitchenware.



Plants and stuff for your garden.


Tropical fishes. So cheap! If only I could bring them back home. I even saw cute puppies on sale for 500 Baht = US$16.25.


Crochet stuff.


Shoes!


Watches.


Accessories.


I really wanted a beaded bag but it was US$50 which is a little too expensive for me.  Guess not everything is cheap...*LOL*


Of course, I had to stop for a drink....I went for the cantaloupe juice, served in the cantaloupe with dry ice and added cute stuff for maximum drama. ;)


I particularly loved the artist section. Check out those hand-painted straw bags! Yes, spoiler alert: I see myself painting on some straw bags in the not so distant future! ;)


And the incredible details on the painted sneakers.


The amazing metalwork with recycled metals.


How cute are these dogs? They are made from recycled pencil sharpeners and fan parts.


I picked up some cute stuff of course. You didn't think I would leave empty-handed did you? *winks*


Share/Bookmark

Pin It

7 comments:

Lizzyc said...

It looks amazing!

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh, it looks amazing!! I could spend a week there shopping!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

That market looks amazing! Loving everything there!! And LOVING what you bought!! PINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

R's Rue said...

Amazing. Bangkok looks so vibrant and colorful.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Cindy deRosier said...

Wow - it really does sound like they have everything. How fun to explore!

Lynn said...

Fascinating! Thanks for the mini tour.

Audrey Pettit said...

Wow, that market is amazing! I think I would be totally overwhelmed and would get lost in an instant.... even with the phone app. But what a cool experience! Love the recycled metal dog. And I can't wait to see your painted bags! Great idea!

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It