Monday

Incorporating packaging on a card



So over the weekend I was binge-watching YouTube videos on zero-waste living and learning about how much stuff actually gets recycled. The numbers are not great my friends. Actual figures depend on where you reside but the bulk of it are in landfills because it is expensive to recycle materials.

In Singapore, residents don't have to sort out the recyclables but instead mass dump the bulk of what they think can be recycled into the blue bins provided because it is supposedly more cost-effective and convenient. But the problem with the mass dumping is that "idiots" throw food waste and dirty diapers into these bins too and contaminate EVERYTHING else in there. As a result, 40% of the recyclables cannot be recycled.



Now that I know, I am taking steps to reduce the amount of things I actually bring home with me. And to try to incorporate the ones that I do on my creative projects. Like this sturdy card pocket that was part of the packaging when I was given some Fresh skincare samples. I thought it would be great for a pull-out tag or gift card.


I love the idea that the recipient could possibly rework/reuse the pocket and bring a smile to someone else's face. :)

What about you? Do you try to reuse stuff you bring into your home?


Share/Bookmark

Pin It

5 comments:

Lisa said...

How creative to use recyclable materials in your projects!! This is so gorgeous!! I love the design with the pull-out tag and the adorable deer!! We have to sort our recyclables into all different categories (paper, glass, cardboard...) and take them to a recycling center. There are people there who monitor what's thrown into the bins, so hopefully no diapers or anything to contaminate. I'd like to think it helps with the environment. Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I feel in a way, you and I are kindred spirits in our abilities to recycle SO much of what we have in our lives, that some people would consider junk! :) We have one recycle bin for us, that the city picks up once a week... and danggggggg ... I was hoping the number that gets recycled out of there was higher than that!! :( I loveeeeeeeee your project ... that deer is adorable!!!!

SD pooja said...

Adorable card !You are doing grt by always incorporating packing and reusing stuff on your projects Yvonne.

plastic bags were banned in my state no need to mention that it was just on paper !!I always carry a cloth bag while buying groceries and veggies ,a strict no for plastic!Some garbage collecters buy thick plastic items,cardboard,newspaper and metal objects ! So this all gets recycled. Majority of waste is dumped on land fills:( !!

Cindy deRosier said...

We diligently sort our recyclables, but we also make an effort not to accumulate in the first place. I've been carrying totes when shopping for years, so the ban on plastic bags hasn't effected me much, but there are other areas where I could do so much better. Food packaging can be ridiculous.

Lynn said...

The state of Hawaii is getting very strict about bags and some don't give any to customers which hopefully encourages them to bring their own, not shop less. I do like recycling 'stuff' into my projects. I thimk your piece looks cool.

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It