Thursday

A pressie for my grandaunt! :)


Mixed media canvas for my grandaunt

So earlier this year, I discovered a "new" grandaunt (my maternal grandma's cousin) along with an auntie, uncles and more cousins! How our paths never crossed before this remains a mystery! *winks*


She recently celebrated her 90th birthday [I will share the props I made for her birthday celebration in another post]....pictured with her is her daughter (my aunt) and her grand-daughter (my cousin). They are all wearing the traditional kebaya. Check out that elaborate floral embroidery!


Since I wanted the focus to be on the photo, I keep the rest of the elements simple. Old lace fabric was adhered to the 6x8 canvas using matte medium, then covered with a layer of gesso. Next I lightly misted with gold mist for a subtle all over sheen. The photo was propped up with cardboard and "framed" with Maya Road flat-back pearls [my latest obsession, if you hadn't noticed already...*LOL*]. I found some 3D chipboard floral pieces in my stash so I created a floral cluster with paper leaves and flowers, bling, trinket pins and Golden gold mica flakes.


Playing along with More Than Words. I used old lace fabric ("something old") and scrapbooked a photo from her 90th birthday (a special occasion).


Share/Bookmark

Pin It

15 comments:

Lizzy Hill said...

Looks brilliant. Love the lace look & what a fabulous gift for her! How lovely to 'find' some extra family! Can't wait to see all the bits you made for the party!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

How wonderful for you all to get to know each other! This is gorgeous! LOVING the photo and the flowers! Can't wait to see what you created for her party!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SD pooja said...

BEAUTIFUL..the delicate lacy bg and the vintage rose ..perfect for the occasion !

Cindy deRosier said...

Love this! How wonderful that you're connecting after all this time.

Heather McMahon said...

Oh it's so great that you found your grand-aunt! What a fabulous keepsake too. I love the lacy background. So glad you could join us at More Than Words.

Dr Sonia S V said...

WOW this is simply fabulous ...love the way you use lace so beautifully
Cheers
Dr Sonia

Audrey Pettit said...

Oh, this is such a fabulous gift, Yvonne! That photo is beautiful, and your altered canvas is a true work of he(art)! Love the lace and the pearl photo frame, and the floral cluster is stunning! I'm sure she loved this! Bravo!

Caroline Elliam said...

Wonderful stories that you shared wonderfully! Thanks for joining us at More than words!

Shelly said...

Oh, this is BEAUTIFUL and what a wonderful story! :)

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness, this is stunning!! I love how you've highlighted the beautiful picture!! And what a wonderful story of getting to meet them, too!! Love this my friend!! Have a great weekend!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Mitralee said...

Love this post! It makes so happy how you made this! And I'm in love with that photo you used! So pretty! HUGS!!!!

Arantzazu said...

so beatiful page!!!
thanks for playing with us at More Than Words!

Nicole Doiron said...

Oh, I am loving all that lacy background and what a wonderful photo! Thank you for playing along with us at More Than Words!

langeatheart said...

What a beautiful tribute to your aunt!! All the best from MTW! :)

Karon said...

Stunning! And fabulous photo!

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It