Tuesday

The one about the Mid-Autumn lantern


 


Remember back in September when I took part in my neighbourhood's lantern-making contest (with recycled materials) and won 4th place?


I didn't do much to clinch a prize actually. Just added bubble-wrap to cover the "windows" of a mooncake box, fussy-cut some flowers from a paper-bag and pasted all over the "lantern", hot-glued some other upcycled tin lids and the paper bag cord to create the handle for the lantern and threw in an Ikea USB-powered string of LED lights.


Turns out the judging committee didn't do much for my prize too. I got a collapsible food container, a box reusable plastic cutlery, a flat reusable water bottle, a bottle of insect repellent and a $5 supermarket voucher. 

I already have all these items (and of better quality aka non-plastic) but it's hard to give/sell them because my neighbourhood's name is printed all over the items. They were probably leftovers from some other event and thrown in as part of the prize package. *LOL*

I think the committee really missed the mark/point. A person who will take part in a contest that only utilises recycled materials is probably concerned about the environment and already owns these basic reusable items. Plus they marketed the event with "attractive prizes to be won".  


Oh well, I did use the lantern on Mid-Autumn's Day to create the atmosphere at home while we ate mooncakes. Plus I'm sure I could use it as part of the decor for CNY 2022. *winks*

What about you? Have you ever been disappointed by a prize package? 

Share/Bookmark

Pin It

2 comments:

Cindy deRosier said...

I've definitely been disappointed by prizes. I totally agree with you that this prize isn't what it should be. The bug repellant in particular seems super random, and low-quality reusable items with branding on them is less than ideal. Did 1st, 2nd, and 3rd get better stuff?

Lizzyc said...

Fabulous layout.. and I cant recall any disappointing prizes.. I am only too happy to win something!!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It