Tuesday

Beer can turned "mug" for paintbrushes...the challenges to complete this project


Mug-shot-project-for-LESSology-closeup7'

I really love the shape and sturdiness of this beer can and wanted to use it to create a "mug" of sorts for LESSology Challenge #60: Mug Shot. I will share with you my process...the good and the bad. *winks*


First of all, removing the top part of the can proved to be more challenging than I thought. The conventional can opener would not fit because of the depth. Fortunately, my mum likes to keep everything so I found a really old-school can opener. It worked but it left really sharp edges so I had to cover it up with air-dry clay.


Next, I wanted to wrap some chipboard around it for some cool texture and pattern. But because of the way the can was shaped, I had a hard time adhering the chipboard around the whole can. So I used some remnant lace fabric for the bottom half of the can.


The next challenge came in the form of creating a "handle" for my mug. Should I drill holes and attach a plastic tube or fashion one out of clay? So many seemingly feasible ideas...but oh so much work! Then of course, a quick rummage through my "save-it-for-a-rainy-day" box yielded an old leather shoe strap. I adhered it with silicone and held it down with tape for 24 hours.


After removing the tape, I took my Frankenstein mug outside for a fresh coat of metallic paint.


Of course, the spray painted "mug" looked very decent until I examined it in daylight. There were some visible glue marks in some areas, the clay was patchy and of course, I needed more practice with the silicone dispenser. *insert super sad music here*

At this point, I was tempted to throw in the towel and just call it a misadventure in arting. Then I looked up at my wall of mixed media canvases...and decided that I was just going to embellish my way out of this bad situation. *LOL*


I got out my hot glue gun and all my pretty embellishments and covered up the bits that were bugging me. After all, flowers and bling can hide everything right? *high fives all around*


Well, the end project turned out halfway decent and I actually like it. The "handle" is fully functional and not purely decorative. In fact, I plan to hang it from a hook on a wall [since I don't really have a lot of desk space].

What do you think?

Share/Bookmark

Pin It

14 comments:

SD pooja said...

I did wonder about the edges of can ,when I tried I had to throw the can because of shape edges ! All the challenges have paid off and the mug looks fab !

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Your process sounds A LOT like mine when I am in a corner about to throw in the towel! LOL!! I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee how this turned out! LOOKS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suman Pandit said...

Hooray...........Mission accomplished !!

Cindy deRosier said...

It's fabulous! So cool that the handle is functional. I'm glad you kept going and finished it up!

Lisa said...

Oh my good golly, this is amazing!! I've never seen a more gorgeous beer can!! You decorated it perfectly!! You are so creative to have overcome the obstacles, too!! Love the idea of the air dry clay on the sharp edges!! Stunning my friend!! In total awe here!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Audrey Pettit said...

Oh, I LOVE it! I think it turned out great, and I love all the embellishments you added! High fives, for sure, for solving all those art problems! I think I would have given up. :D

msmith434343 said...

Oh, wow! That's so texture-y and cool! Love the color, too, and all the bits you added! Terrific!

Lisa said...

This is awesome and I love to hear that you had to "embellish your way out"...lol! You are human!! I thought for sure you were an up cycling superhero....well...I do think that...but. Now if I saw you on the street I might approach you...lol!

Lizzy Hill said...

Sooo enjoyed the 'process' you went through here...... it was a great journey - so glad you got inspiration from your canvases like that. WAAAAY clever idea!!!! Looks great. My fave bit is the handle. Amazing!!!

Lynn said...

Hanging up a brush holder is a brilliant idea....more surface area for your desk. I think despite all your wrong turns the end product is beautifully functional and to think it all started with a beer can...so clever!

Hussena said...

Such a great transformation, Yvonne. I love the final look and it's great that you completed it even though you faced a lot of challenges. Your embellishing is so fabulous as always :)

~amy~ said...

Such a fun transformation!

Mitralee said...

Very nice save!!! And I love the idea of your handle! Hardware can be a challenge! Such pretty bling!

Ava Harris said...

Thanks for sharing this informative information about silicone handle opener with us. It's very helpful. Keep it up!

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It