Wednesday

Make a junk journal with Shahrul Niza!




My guest today is the sweet Shahrul Niza of Such Pretty Canvas. If you are like me and inspired by nature and the unconventional, you would love her style of meshing unexpected elements in clever ways. Her eclectic quirky style first caught my eye when she started playing along with the challenges at LESSology and was on our design team last year. I had the opportunity to meet up with her in person earlier this year when I was in Kuala Lumpur where we bonded over tea, cakes and mixed media [see pic on right]. Today, she shares with us how to make a junk journal and is also hosting a fabulous challenge with a prize for a lucky player! :)

First, let's have a look at some of Shahrul's fave projects....







Hello friends!

My name is Shahrul, and I can't thank enough sweet Yvonne, for inviting me to be her Guest Blogger here @ Do More With Less. She has great eyes for colors, texture and blings and I'm forever loving her bold, happy artwork!.

A little about myself; I'm a geologist who self-taught mixed-media art, single and living in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia with 3 fluffy cats!. I love nature, photography and creating.

My style has evolved from simple & sweet paper creations into eclectic, curious, vintage altered things. I'm a HUGE fan of mini albums, art journaling & up-cycling projects. Recently, I discovered the joy of stitching on papers, fabrics, plastics and you name it. What a fun addition to my art :).



My small junk journal, measures only 6" X 4" in size.

I LOVE using different textures and materials in my projects. Today, I like to show you one way to use up your paper & fabric scraps. All the better, to rid off that junk mails and unwanted flyers :). We are making a junk journal !!. If you love to jot down stuff and maybe sketching a little like I do, this is a perfect tiny journal/jotter you could make on your own for keeps or to give away. Yes, using stuff you may already have at home :).



Junk journals are fun. Simply because there are no rules!. Anything goes into this journal. Junk or treasures alike. No symmetry. Mismatched pages. Crumpled papers or frayed fabrics. Just assemble anything that is flat enough as journal pages. 


Fold everything in half, stack them like a book and stitch in the middle (or just staple) to hold the pages together. Attach a ribbon, a leather strap or a twine for closure. You are done!. You may paint or add mediums to the pages for extra texture or leave them clean as I did. Or, add some crazy stitches for additional interest. 

I 'trapped' pressed flowers by stitching around a plastic folder to keep it in-place. 

Embellished the back cover with a pressed fern.

The back cover. Botanical specimens are beautiful against any printed pages.

I love collecting things while out walking in nature. So I made myself some pressed flowers and leaves by drying them underneath heavy old books for about two weeks. Every now and then, I use them in my art. This journal is meant for a gardening/nature notebook. Hence, I used many floral prints ripped from magazines. Lets take a peek into my journal;

Ripped pretty prints from magazines as embellishment.


Stitching on frayed fabrics make your journal looks organic.

Plastic inserts with embedded pretty things. You may add buttons or pictures in it too.







I added a pen holder, salvaged from an old diary :). Handy to take notes later.


 Add tags, postage stamps and washi tapes to beautify journal pages.

Are you ready for a challenge??. You are welcome to create any projects, but you MUST include some stitching in them. Whether it hand stitching, or machine stitching ... anyway that strikes your fancy :). Link your projects to this post and I'll let Yvonne choose a winner :). 

I'll send one lucky winner, a junk journal kit. So that you'll be able to make one for yourself :). 

Would you like to win this junk journal kit?

Come, put your creative hats on and play along!. Good Luck!. And thank you for reading my post today. Hope you'll join my challenge :). Can't wait to see your creations!. HUGS.
____________________________________________________

Ahhhh...now you are looking forward to the junk mail in your mail box right? *LOL* 
Ready to play along with Shahrul's fabulous challenge? Please link your newly created projects featuring the use of stitching via Inklinz [located at the end of the post] by Friday June 7th, 11.59pm (GMT+8).

As always, please leave a little love for my guest Shahrul. :)






Share/Bookmark

Pin It

29 comments:

Lynnda said...

Hi Shahrul....its been a long time eh...

how exciting!!!... Loving your junk journal... couldn't be any better putting together your findings and transformed them into a journal!!! I would be 100% satisfied!.. totally interesting!!! I hate to promise and break them later... but if I could find the time ..like today... I would play along!... thanks for sharing with US... your inspiring junk journal!... woooo.... yummy prize to be won eh... cool!...hugs...x

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Oh my gosh! Love this JUNK JOURNAL! Rocking work!!!

Shahrul Niza said...

Hello, Yvonne :). Thanks so much for having me. And I hope, all the ladies out there are getting busy. Most of all, HAVE FUN!!. Hugs all around :).

Suman Pandit said...

Hi Shahrul, such a creative and bold approach to crafting!! loved looking at your creations!!
http://www.kalasirjana.blogspot.in/

Erum Tasneem said...

Woot Shahrul that junk journal looks ah-mazing!! Lovin your work!

JulieJ said...

Oh you can't call it a junk journal. It may have started as junk but it is so beautful now.

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

I love Shahrul's creation, she is brilliant isn't she? Thanks for sharing your wonderful guest star Yvonne!

Ujjwal said...

This junk journal idea is so fabulous. Loving it! I hope I get the time to play along and win some awesome junk :D

SD pooja said...

Hey Thanks Yvonne for introducing us to such a talented lady ! I loved loved the junk journal and was hooked on stitching and the use of dried flowers n leaves.I too have them but never thought to use them in such amazing way .Thanks Shahrul !

dawn said...

I have LOVED Shahrul's amazing creations for a year now. Her journals are just one of my favorite things she makes. This junk journal is gorgeous and fun and soooo Shahrul style!! I love nature too and this idea of stitching pieces in here is so cool.
Thanks so much for the challenge, I will love getting some JUNK in my mailbox now.
I will add that I'm jealous you got to meet this wonderful lady too. Hope I am that lucky one day.

Lizzy Hill said...

Ooooh! Looks like a FUN challenge...& I LOVE how you think outside the square....really fascinating peek into that cute little journal....YUMMY work:):) Hope to join in:):)

sandi said...

She did a wonderful job! What a beautiful creation!

Dolly B said...

Wow I LOVE the Junk Journal, but more like a beaUtiful journal. You have inspired me to make a journal using all these beautiful bits and pieces, and what a great way to use up left over materials and paper
Mary

Anonymous said...

One crafters junk is another crafters treasure!!! Love this junk journal :)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

How exciting!!! I am loving your creations!! Let's see (hope!) that I am brave enough for your challenge!! :)

Lisa said...

Wow, what a gorgeous journal!! All of the pages are just fabulous!! Amazing!!

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

TOTOTOTOTOTALLY need to keep my junk mail now! LOOOOOOVE this journal! BEAUTIFULLY put together:)

Cindy deRosier said...

That journal is beautiful - so much creativity!!

Annette Allen said...

oh my word this is amazing.. I love the Junk Journal idea.. Thanks for sharing Shahrul..

Angi Barrs said...

What a talented guest! I love that book.

Evelin said...

what a great idea! I love this! :D

Ella Swan said...

What an outstanding project! I can see why you 2 gals got along so well!! Such a similar style/outlook!! Great challenge and lush prize....

Audrey Pettit said...

Wow, jaw dropping work from your awesome guestie, Shahrul! Love, love her mixed media fabric work!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful junk journal Shahrul has created. Looks amazing..

Hugs~

maria f. said...

So happy to meet Shahrul here - wow those little books with fabric et al are so gorgeous!

Lynnda said...

YEs I made it!! Woohoo... I have linked my mini...hugs...x

Vasu said...

Amazing work.....so beautiful...love the use of flowers and leaves

Tone-Lill said...

I'm speachless.... This is art in it self... A Truly amazing junk journal... Soooooo super cool and I love it to bits :)

jeanie g said...

Gorgeous and just up my street! Love everything about it.

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It