Tuesday

Exploring styles: Eclectic freestyle




When I am forced to define my style, I usually say "eclectic" which is really euphemism for "anything goes". :)

Eclectic: selecting/choosing from various sources; made up of what is selected from different sources; not following one particular system.

We-are-family

The elements don't have to make sense.

The background of this layout was created by leftover residual mists, freshened up with a few ink splats and texturized with a little washi tape and fiber paste.


Y&H

It can be pretty.

I added a lot of different elements and textures here....felt swirls, pleated ribbon, fabric buttons, text overlay, kraft envelope, wood letters...but I kept to two main colours to create a coherent piece.


Bandage-buddies-by-Yvonne-Yam-for-Scrap-Africa

Incorporate lots of found elements and make it whimsical.

So the theme was to use postage stamps....but the photo I really wanted to use was blurry...so I made "it" into a postage stamp. Then, when I was trying to cut the gauze with the lousy travel scissors, I decided that I should just get a better pair *LOL* and glued the scissors on my layout.



Troublemakers

Use unexpected colours to draw interest.

Sticking to gender-specific colours just limits your colour palette. Pair unusual colours together to create a greater impact. I added red as a grounding colour to brighten up the dark colour palette.

The-art-class

Go wild with patterns and colours.

When everything is bright and colourful, no one really notices that your patterns clash [or do they? *winks*].

India

Make the most out of an "accident".

Removing the clog from my black mist bottle resulted in a heavy over-spray. I added some punched black butterflies, matted the photo in a black and white mat along with black and white brads to complete the illusion that the black mist was intentional.

100%-boy-behaviour

Inject a little humour.

Did you notice that this "scene" doesn't make any sense? Distracted you with those arrows, funny faces and cute ducks right? Mission accomplished! *LOL*

So what do you think? Is eclectic freestyle your style of choice? Are you more of a minimalist? Or pattern mixer?


Share/Bookmark

Pin It

25 comments:

Laurel said...

Love, love, love!

Lynnda said...

WOW WOW WOW.... these layouts are AMAZING!! should be published in a magazine!!!


I supposed I could be categorized as eclectic style too... how I wish I could be more specific on what is my style!!!...[[ still searching is my best bet!]]


hugs...x

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh, these are all just..wow!! What fabulous layouts!! I love each one!! You make me want to scrapbook, which I haven't done in forever!! I love all the gorgeous designs and the adorable pictures!! Have a great evening :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Rose said...

fantastic layouts :)
ok you say "anything goes" but i like to call myself a "free spirit/rebel" lol

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Your style always amazes me!! I still can't pinpoint a name for mine!! LOL!!!! Loveeeeeeeeee these!!

Lizzy Hill said...

Can I be an eclectic OTT minimalist bright bold white space filler sometimes girl???!!!!!!!!!!! WHoooooo knows....the fun of scrapping is to give it all a go, I reckon...as you do, Yvonne!!!!!!!!!

Virginia L. said...

Amazing post, Yvonne! I love the eclectic style--that means your work is ever changing and always exciting!

Annette Allen said...

you are the master scrapbooker... I love your fun ideas..and they ALWAYS look amazing..

SD pooja said...

This style rocks ! Its fun ,amazing and colorful,with lots of unusual elements( scissor !!) !

Unknown said...

I like your work and more than that I love your style of writing.So refreshing.My fav layout is the one with the postage stamp and the scissors.I would describe my style as 'no clue what to do,panic panic,slap on something ,make it work".Lol

JulieJ said...

Yes - eclectic is definitely your style. Can you have eclectic without the paint and mess? 'Cos I think that might be me - a more restrained eclectic.
BTW hoe do you unclog a misting nozzle. I bought three spares and managed to clog those too!.

Dora said...

Fantastic, just love them all, great use of colors, and really freestyle..love it!!!!!

Lalo said...

"Eclectic Freestyle" LOVE IT and you are totally the master...that's for sure!!!

Sandie said...

Oh my, each page is flipping amazing and I adore your 'style', it is beautiful and unique! The adding of various items (scissors) had me chuckling, but it really does add so much character! Love it Yvonne, all of them!

Sandie said...

P.S My family tree is full of nuts, had me really laughing, must use that in one of my LO's ... LOL Priceless!!!

sandi said...

Fabulous! Fabulous! Fabulous! Love all of these! Yes, publish material for sure!!!

ANUPAMA CHOUDARY said...

I sure can spot a Yvonne page when I see one :)))
And I spy dear Helen!!!

Genevive said...

these are so original, awesome layouts! until now i still dont really know what my style :( but im drawn into clean, simple and pretty.. maybe for now i will also say, ECLECTIC haha!

Cindy deRosier said...

You are most definitely eclectic... and so incredibly creative! I'm as clean and simple as it gets - I like eclectic on others, but I don't like the way it feels on me. :)

Linda Breedlove said...

What fun looking at all of these... FANTASTIC WORK!!! Guess I'm just a shabby, vintagey kind of crafter!

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Wow these are brilliant! Love the bandage buddies one!!! So cute!!! I would say I'm funky and cute! :) Sometimes not though! Lol!

Hussena said...

I really enjoy all the different projects that you always share and I agree your style can very easily be categorised as Eclectic ..as you seem to be so good at just about every craft style :)...Love all the LO you have shared here all of them are just so gorgeous !

Audrey Pettit said...

I SO love that you don't feel like design has to "make sense". Makes life more fun that way, and that edge is what makes your projects so unique and eye catching and amazing!

Ella Swan said...

Ooooh I love the bandage buddies with the travel scissors attached - way cool idea!! Oh gosh I love every style. I call myself versatile LOL!!!

~amy~ said...

Super awesome styles & layouts!!!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It