Thursday

How to get more out of your mixed media art supplies




                    “I suppose it is tempting, if the only tool you have is a                                   hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail.” 

                                                                                          Abraham Maslow

I think this sentiment sums up why I'm attracted to creating mixed media art....the endless possibilities/probabilities that might emerge from "throwing" various media at a substrate; discovering new techniques from happy "accidents", using your knowledge of media to "salvage" poorly executed techniques or just building up the layers to create your own brand of art.

I have, over the last few years of playing with mixed media, experimented with all kinds of art-making tools and products. Some of them really resonated with my artistic ambitions; others challenged me to re-evaluate my approach to mark-making and a few have made me feel less than adequate in my abilities.

But the most important thing I have learnt through experimentation is how to get more out of my mixed media art supplies. Hope these tips can help you do the same in your artistic journey.



1. Get to know your art supplies.

Yep. Understanding how your art supply works is key to utilising them to your advantage. Do they like water? Do they play well with other mediums? What kind of substrates do they like best?

Remember that manufacturers come up with a certain way of using an art supply but it doesn't mean that it is the only way the supply can be used. Often, users of an art supply think of other interesting ways that supply can be used. 

Of course, if it is a medium that is totally new to you, you might have trouble thinking of the multiple ways to use that said supply. No worries. The internet is your friend. Google reviews on the product or watch YouTube videos to get inspiration on how other art enthusiasts are using that supply. Or if you prefer to read books, head to your local library and check out some books on that particular medium. Then try it out for yourself.



2. Choose quality over quantity.

It is so tempting to get every single colour of a product especially when you've been inspired by a tutorial you've just seen and really want to try out that particular technique.
Don't.

Buy a few of your fave colours, go home and play with them. You can always go back for more. You sure don't want to be stuck with 100 colours of a product that you might not like using. When you curate your art supplies, you will always have a collection that you enjoy. For years.

Don't be tempted by how "cheap" a product is. While price may not always be an indication of quality, when it comes to art supplies, it kind of is. Pure colour pigments are expensive and are reflective in their prices. Quality products will ensure the longevity of your work....you don't want to have spent hours on a project only to have the colours fade away quickly because they are not lightfast.

If you have an art supply store that you frequent, ask to try out a product before you purchase or even ask for samples. Pictured are some of the samples I got from my local art supply store. :)


3. Learn colour theory.

Take time to learn about the basics of colour theory. The human mind responds to different colours so understanding colours can help you convey your creative ideas, express your emotions and spark interest in your art piece.

Once you learn about how to combine colours and create colour harmony, you can layer your media and experiment away! 

What about you? How do you try to get more out of your mixed media art supplies?

Share/Bookmark

Pin It

3 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

These are AWESOME tips!!!! Thank you for sharing this!

Lisa said...

Fab tips, my friend!! And I love that canvas of the eye on the wall!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Cindy deRosier said...

Great tips! I love the suggestion about getting samples at the art store. When I want to try something totally out of my comfort zone, I invite myself over to a friend's house who has experience with whatever I'm trying to learn. I bring the treats and we make an afternoon of learning and playing together.

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It