Tuesday

Mixed Media Tuesday: The journey of a self-portrait



Oh well. You know the day would come when I would attempt a self-portrait painting right? And a large one too! Because your girl is crazy! *winks*


I started with my usual mixed media messy background play with paints, inks, stencils and gesso. Then I went in with my rough sketch using a charcoal vine. It's messy but totally erasable (with a wet cloth) so you don't feel so committed to your lines (haha!)

As you can clearly see, I'm sooooooo bad at sketching! I mean, she looks nothing like the photo right?



Then I went in with my first layer of acrylic paints and worked on the details with a water brush pen filled with ink. Nephew #1 came into my room at this point and asked me who I was painting. The first thing he said was, "Why does she look so fat?" *LOL*


Here I am fine-tuning the details after I scaled down on those massive fat cheeks. It's weird that we see ourselves so differently. I've always felt that I've such chubby cheeks.


After hours of painting and re-painting because the folks said she looked nothing like me, I was finally done when nephew #1 said, "Wow. What did you do? She looks like you."


Now of course, I have to paint everyone in the family. At least that's what mum says. And you know, mum is the Empress Dowager. *winks*

What do you think?


Share/Bookmark

Pin It

7 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

YOU LOOK AMAZING!! I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee this!!!! Just gorgeous ... just like you!!!! :)

SD pooja said...

Ohh..My...let me grab my jaw !!! A mixed media portrait and you sketched her I mean you free hand !!Outstanding job..eager to see other members of you family on canvas !!

Lisa said...

WOW!! This is absolutely stunning!! You did a perfect job!! In total awe here!! I can't wait to see the portraits of the rest of the family!! You are amazing!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Cindy deRosier said...

INCREDIBLE!!

Shelly said...

Don't kids say the darndest things?!!...LOL You are BEAUTIFUL!! Love your self portrait!

Lynn said...

I've never met you in person but from the photo I'd say you created a dead ringer. Really fantastic...love all the colors and textures!

Audrey Pettit said...

I think she is absolutely stunning, and a spitting image of YOU!! <3

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It