Wednesday

10 mixed media card ideas (Part 2)




You know that I'm a grab-and-go kind of girl when it comes to my mixed media cards. I like being spontaneous and incorporating the little bits that are found on my desk after working on a couple of layouts. Sometimes, they turn out pretty good *winks*...other times, I've had to do a lot of covering up work of course...*LOL* Here are 10 mixed media card ideas.

All cards are linked to their original posts.

You-are-beautiful-card
Are you into social media?
1.  Add your "save-it-for-a-rainy-day" bits to create a "scene".

My card base is watercolour paper with residual mists (from another project). I rounded the corners and incorporated my "save-it-for-a-rainy-day" stash to create a cute little "scene". Yes, that yellow "trim" is the leather strap from an old shoe.:)

Hello-friend-mixed-media-card
A quick mixed media card
2. Mix it up!

Try some light modeling paste + Faber Castell gelatos for a soft watercolour look on your card base. Then jazz it up with a mix of soft and hard elements.

Pink-bow-mixed-medid-card-for-Maya-Road
The case for the no sentiment card
3. See a "design" in the abstract.

I love the abstract design created by residual mists and stencils and didn't want to cover that up. So I just added complementary textural elements to finish the card.

V-Day-card-for-CCB
A blue and orange card
4.  Try a vertical design to hide "flaws".

I didn't really like the pattern created by the residual mists so I added a darker orange mist which made it worse!  So I bloated some of the colour off with a tissue. It looked really bad at this point. Then I decided to apply modeling paste to create a vertical design to distract from the blob disaster. With the embellishment cluster, you (almost) can't tell that this card was so much trouble! *LOL*

Be-mine-mixed-media-card
Using a few supplies to make a loud card

5. Use your colorants to create an abstract background.

Here, I started with light modeling paste and The Crafter's Workshop stencil. After that, I added Ecolines (liquid watercolours) with a paintbrush to create an abstract design. I finished by adding my sentiment as a focal point.


Beautiful-card-by-Yvonne-Yam-for-Maya-Road1
Love the look of peekaboo lace
6. Use fabric to create a romantic feel.

Sometimes when your background colours are too bold, you can add lace to soften the colours and add a romantic feel to your card.

Thank-you-mixed-media-card
For the love of light modeling paste
7. Vary the way you apply your mediums and colorants.

There isn't just one way to apply your mediums and colorants. Even changing the order in which you apply them can create interesting effects.

For this card, I used Liquitex light modeling paste on a white card base. After that I added some mists. I finished by using white and black gesso with my fingers to create a more "artsy" look.

Purple-mixed-media-card
The 5am card
8. Extend the design of a patterned paper.

Like the design on your patterned paper? Why not extend it to create more visual appeal? I really love the soft colours and the grid pattern on this piece of patterned paper. So I added some mist to make it a little more vibrant, then added some light modeling paste with The Crafter's Workshop stencil to "extend" the design and make it more interesting.


Sealed-with-a-kiss-card-by-Yvonne-Yam-for-ColourArte
Using purples and neutrals on a card


9. Play up the textures.

The white cardstock was lightly misted with a stencil for a subtle pattern. The chipboard flourishes were covered with Golden Glass Bead Gel and then coloured with ColourArte Primary Elements in a stronger pigment. Paper blooms in similar tones and neutral trim & twine were used as embellishments to complete this monochromatic card.

Always-mixed-media-card
Experiment with your mediums to create different effects
10. Work with watercolours and light modeling paste for a different effect.

The card base was created with splashes of Ecolines (liquid watercolours). When that was dry, I applied a layer of light modeling paste with The Crafter's Workshop stencil. The light modeling paste absorbed some of the watercolour to really create the depth of colour.

There you have it. 10 more mixed media card ideas. Do you have a fave?

P/s: For more mixed mixed card ideas, check out a previous post: 10 mixed media card ideas.


Share/Bookmark

Pin It

9 comments:

StirYourCreativity said...

Great tips. I never tried a mixed card but your post inspires me to try one.

Audrey Pettit said...

I just love your work, Yvonne! You have such a unique and beautiful style, and I love your mixed media approach and the unique findings from your "save it for a rainy day" collection!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

You are amazing! LOVING all the tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SD pooja said...

A Beautiful array of classy Mixed Media cards ! All of them are my favorites but I am bit partial to one with vertical design.I am still trying to figure out what distance to spray from to get desired result ! Your trick will help me for sure !

Tenia Nelson said...

LOVE THEM ALL!!

Lisa said...

They are all absolutely stunning!! I love looking back at your amazing creations!! You are so talented my friend!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Cindy deRosier said...

I can't pick a favorite! They're all fabulous.

Annette Allen said...

all of these are gorgeous.. you make the most amazing background.. always full of color and I love that

Lynn said...

Gosh, such a great collection of mixed media cards. I can't really choose a favorite but I am partial to #6 and #9. I love the textures and colors....so pretty!

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It