Thursday

Your weekend project: Chalkboard Art



So I have finally succumbed to the chalkboard art trend. And of course, you know, when I start on something, I go big...*winks* Probably should have tackled a card first...*LOL*


A google search on chalkboard art led me to lots of inspiring chalk penmanship [read: super hard!] and lots of tips on the best ways to start .....like deciding on a design and then using a projector to project the image on your board before drawing with your chalk. Or measuring your design so that the text will fit your board.

Even the nephews think that it's toooooo much work!

What? That sounds like a lot of work. And so NOT me. So I went with stencils. *LOL*


Kind of wish I had more word stencils though...

1. Get a piece of plywood, prime it with gesso and then follow the instructions for the chalkboard paint...[1 hour between coats and 1 day to cure]. The chalkboard paint comes in a variety of colours so you don't have to use black. 

2. Choose your stencil and start creating your chalkboard art! I love the Faber Castell Pitt Pastels are perfect for the chalk effect minus the chalk dust! You can just use a wet rag to erase mistakes. If you LOVE what you did, you can spray a chalk fixative over it. I love the idea of changing it up when I get bored.

P/s: Hope you will give chalkboard art a try. I've 2 more pieces painted and all set for some serious drawing...ahem..tracing! Signing off for the long weekend...hope you have an awesome one! :)


Share/Bookmark

Pin It

29 comments:

Tenia Nelson said...

LOVE!!

Laurel said...

How fun!

~amy~ said...

i.love.this.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

You rocked it!! I still haven't tried it!! Too scared I will mess it up! LOL!! And loving the photo of the boys!! Adorbs!!!!!

Chantal Vandenberg said...

I haven't succumbed yet either! :D

Virginia L. said...

Love your chalkboard art, Yvonne! The shading is just perfect!I can't wait to see more!

Sarah said...

love it! I just jumped on that bandwagon too! I think I might be hooked! ;)

Cindy deRosier said...

Nice! I'm not getting a sense of the scale. How large is your plywood?

Suman Pandit said...

AWESOME work Yvonne :)

Somdeepa Das said...

I know this is crazy...but I learnt of chalkboard art just today, from YOU in fact! Looks so cute and back-to school-ish...looked it up on Pinterest(which is fast replacing Google for me :p) and maybe I would have tried it too if could afford chalkboard paint!

Unknown said...

I love chalkboard and have been hoarding that one bottle of paint I bought ages ago.I tried it once but my lettering was nothing to talk about.Love the idea of using stencils.Never thought of that!Totally going to copy!

yyam said...

18x12 inches

yyam said...

Hehe...can't wait to see your take!:)

Ella Swan said...

Enjoy your Easter! Great job woth the chalking. I so agree that other stuff is way too much work!! I offered to paint a wall in Cami's room with it a d shd refused! She hatrs the noise and feel of chalk..,

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Awesome tips Yvonne!!!!

Lizzy Hill said...

Fun one! Betcha switch it round a LOT...but that would be the beauty of it...& now you've got somewhere to write all those notes, too:):)

Radhika said...

Great work Yvonne !! Thanks for sharing the chalkboard art with good tips to start off.. :)

Sherry Eckblad said...

I haven't taken the plunge into the chalkboard trend yet either.
Great card and love the photo of your two nephews.

SD pooja said...

Something new n interesting !!

Anonymous said...

Awesome and so much fun!!! Your pics of nephews crack me up!

sandi said...

Fun! <3!

Lisa said...

It looks amazing!! I love the look!! And how absolutely adorable are your nephews!! Have a great day :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Annette Allen said...

so very cool.. I have been wanting to try this.. :)

Karon said...

LOL! Always go big! Fabulous, me I would have gone with the card - to lazy LOL! :-) Happy Easter.

Heather Jacob said...

sensational and such fun x

Audrey Pettit said...

Oh, WOW! How very, very cool, Yvonne! I love that you went big on this! Looks amazing! I've yet to try this chalkboard technique...but you might just give me that last little push I need. Can't wait to see what else you're up to with it!

Juliana Michaels 17turtles said...

This is fabulous! Don't they say go big or go home?! LOL! Have a Happy Easter!!!

Hussena said...

Oh I loved this technique and the way you have used the stencils on it ..This is definitely something new to me and I am quite fascinated by it ...Need to give this a try !!Thanks for sharing :)

Tone-Lill said...

TFS Yvonne, this looks ( like the art work says;) Awesome..... What a fab Idea..... Love it!!!!!
Happy Easter to you and family x

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It