Thursday

Why I love working on canvas...


Gangster-gang-canvas1

If you are totally intrigued by the mixed media frenzy but don't know how to get started, I would suggest working on a canvas. :)



It is a very forgiving surface. You can spritz and drizzle mediums with wild abandon. And if all else fails, you can paint over it and start the whole process again.



Ordinary cardstock and even watercolour paper would warp if you "overplay" with them. But a canvas takes "abuse" quite well. *winks* Check out the in-process pics of this particular canvas.


I especially love to apply colorants and let them dry overnight...waking up to amazing textural surprises in the morning [okay..sometimes it might be icky surprises...*LOL*]. I know a lot of mixed media artists like to use a heat gun to speed up the process but I don't like how watered down mediums dry with a heat gun. Plus overheating the mediums can produce undesirable chemical fumes that could potentially be deadly [insert dramatic music...]


So, give canvas a go! And share your mixed media works of art with me! :)

This canvas was created for the LESSology Challenge #35: Tic Tag Toe. Can you spot my upcycled tag?


Share/Bookmark

Pin It

25 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I heart this sooooooooo much! I love love love how you added the tag!!!

Lisa said...

This is seriously fabulous!! The texture is amazing!! What an adorable picture of the Gangster Gang :) Love, love it!! Have a great day :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Tenia Nelson said...

So so AWESOME!!

Cindy deRosier said...

Love everything about this, especially the Gangster Gang.

Ashley Horton said...

Love your background Yvonne, and awesome mix of products!! Such a fun canvas!

Creations by Shirl said...

You are awesome with your background designs.... love those gangster kids....

Suman Pandit said...

Love the 'lucky surprises'...the best part of working with mix-media :) The Gang is adorable !!

alexa said...

The textures do indeed look wonderful, and canvas is a great surface. My only problem owuld be working out where and how to store or display it all :).

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Wow this looks super!!

Sherry Eckblad said...

Great title! I love your canvases. You always make them look so easy, but I know better.

Lizzy Hill said...

Totally, totally AWESOME...I really, really LOOOOVE it...those delish layers, & the photo of the stars before it was finished. Looks great! I don't do much on canvas...I've GOT some lurking in the cupboard, though!!!

dstandard said...

This is really cool!!! Love the effect on canvas!

~amy~ said...

super fun...LOVE those kids!

Unknown said...

Loving your canvas. Who knew heat guns could be deadly. HEE HEE...

Happy Thursday to you!

Hugs~

Radhika said...

Its Fantastic Yvonne.. :)

Hussena said...

I loved your canvas Yvonne and recently I have been contemplating getting a few to play around with ! ..I always love the way you build your background textures and the colors as well. Of course your paper pieced pictures are totally fun too :)

Annette Allen said...

fun title and awesome canvas.. love the background and that picture TOO FUN

Unknown said...

Fantastic canvas.Love the colours and the photo is supercute.

Anonymous said...

That's great advice for someone starting out! Your right! Sometime when you use alot of water and overwork the area on watercolor paper you get paper coming up and I hate that!Your canvas and all its detail is fantastic!!

SD pooja said...

Its Awesome Yvonne ! In process pics give very clear idea of the fab textures on it !

Karon said...

Fabulous canvas! Love the pictures and the amazing background you have created! TFS

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

They are so cute and I love this fabulous canvas.

Shylaashree said...

superb textures yvonne, the bg color combo and the cute little gang totally made your project to rock. :)

Audrey Pettit said...

Love it! So, so creative and fun!

Rose said...

FAB canvas :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It