Tuesday

How to incorporate a photo on your mixed media canvas



Zeus-and-Zoe-April-Challenge

Back in August 2012, I shared how to create a simple mixed media canvas. Today I'm sharing how to  incorporate a photo on your mixed media canvas.



Start by picking a photo. The photo will help to guide your colour choices. Alternatively, you can go with a black and white photo. Decide where your photo will be placed on the canvas.


Scrunch and adhere some wrapping tissue to the base of your gesso-primed canvas, keeping your creases to areas outside the designated spot for your photo. This makes it easier to adhere your photo later.


Start adding various painted colours to your canvas. Acrylic paints tend to look "plasticky" so I like to mix in shimmering mediums to the paint. The colours are built gradually by layers. I apply the first layer with a palette knife to spread the colours all over the canvas, then use my fingers to dab another layer of colours. . It is quite a labour-intensive process so you may want to work on a smaller canvas [mine measures 8 x 8].



Then I add in the gold and bronze paint colours, making sure they get in-between the creases. I finish off with a thin layer of gesso on the palm of my hand which I distribute all over the canvas. The white helps to pull the colours together and applying with your palm creates an interesting texture. I added PearlEx to create even more shimmer on the background.


Then adhere your photo to a piece of patterned paper [it's harder to stick photos directly on the textured surface] that serves as a photo mat. And start embellishing with dimensional objects like buttons, charms and blooms. [Spot the washi? *winks*]

There you have it. A photo on your mixed media canvas. Not too difficult right? What do you think?

P/s: This canvas was done for this month's challenge at Zeus and Zoe is to scrap about yourself right now and to incorporate buttons. :)


Share/Bookmark

Pin It

25 comments:

Lee-Anne said...

I love it Yvonne! I love your photo and all the texture that the tissue paper creates and the cool buttons. Lovely!

Lynnda said...

Hey hey... look at you huh!!!! so pretty!!! I love your mixed media canvas !!! this is so my fave of yours... the texture is so beautiful... you paint like a pro....Hugs..x

Linda Breedlove said...

Thank you for the tips... LOVE your canvas... so much texture. Beautiful!

Laurel said...

Gorgeous!

Sherry Eckblad said...

Absolutely love this! The photo is great as is all those bits and bobs you added around it.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

You are beautiful my friend!! I just loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee this! GORGEOUS!!!

glorygirl said...

I agree with Julie! This is GORGEOUS!!!!!!! I keep staring at it and seeing new things to love about it. The colors you chose are fabulous - really work together well and keep drawing the eye back for more. GORGEOUS canvas!

Miae said...

Beautiful photo and canvas Yvonne!

Tone-Lill said...

Awsome canvas, a real piece of art. I love the colours you have used with added shimmers, and great photo too :)
x

JulieJ said...

Love it - that's beautiful (and your photo)

SD pooja said...

Hmm..So much of work to create such fab bg !It looks very interesting .Thanks for sharing the steps !

Dora said...

I love love love this....amazing colors, and a beautiful picture of you! Wonderful work!

ANUPAMA CHOUDARY said...

Cool project, Yvonne!

Lizzy Hill said...

YOu are SOOO clever - this is just such FUN!!! I find it hard to scrap myself...I really, really like how you journaled:):):)!!!!!!!

sandi said...

Wow! This is fabulous! Love the colors, the texture.....gorgeous!

Shahrul Niza said...

you are gorgeous!!!! the mixed media canvas has a hard time competing :). I love all the texture and the bling!

Unknown said...

Love this. It looks fabulous. Well done my friend.

Hugs~

Annette Allen said...

the texture on this canvas is amazing and the picture is so pretty... LOVE THIS..

Jessi Fogan said...

I don't even know which I like more - the amazing texture of the background or all the SHINY & cool charms - camera, lightbulb, key? SO cool, Yvonne :)

Cindy deRosier said...

Stunning!

Mitralee said...

SUPER COOL!

Audrey Pettit said...

Wow! This is gorgeous!!! And soooo creative, too!

Poornima said...

This is fabulous Yvonne..the way you do mixed media canvas is just superb !!love the embellishments used !!

Ella Swan said...

Wowzers! Totally gorgeous!!!

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

This is so beautiful, I love it!

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It