Tuesday

Get dimensional with Donna Mundinger!




My guest today is the lovely Donna Mundinger of Popsicle Toes. She is the de facto queen of dimension.  Her projects are full of awesome details and luscious yummy layers. I generally marvel and gasp when I visit her blog. Seriously. Her shaped cards are to die for! :) Today, she spills the secret to her dimensional creations and is hosting a challenge with a fabulous prize for one lucky participant! :)

Shall we marvel at some of her dimensional beauties?



**************************************************************************************

Hi, I'm Donna Mundinger and I'm so happy and honored to be a Guest Designer on Yvonne's fabulous blog. I'm such a fan of her bright and happy style! I live with my hubby of 35 years and two kitties in the East Bay of San Francisco, CA. I've always been a crafter but started working with paper when I received a Cricut Expression for my birthday 3 years ago. Although Cricut will always be my first love, I've expanded my repertoire to include the Cuttlebug and rubber and digi stamping as well. I consider myself a card maker, with a few altered projects thrown in for good measure. I'm not sure I have a signature style, but do I love to add dimension to everything I create.

Sometimes it's LOTS of dimension! This is my DT card for Bitten By the Bug2 this week, created in Cricut Design Studio.

It's a shaped front card card, one of my favorite kinds to make. As you can see, the front has many layers and is very dimensional. The back has several mats as well. One thing to keep in mind when adding alot of dimension to your card front, is to make sure the back of the card has enough structure to support it or the card will seem very flimsy when opened.


The card is created in layers by welding the elements in Cricut Design Studio. Here are all of the layers that went into the creation of this project. the first is the card itself, with a full front mat glued to the front of the card to hide the fold line. Each subsequent layer is a combination of welded elements plus the additional colored layers that have been glued flat. As you can see,this leaves 5 layers that will be popped with dimensional foam onto the card base.

I started out buying packaged foam squares and dots and quickly decided that it would be more cost effective to make my own using foam sheets from the craft store and transfer tape on both sides. Not only does it come in many colors (so it sort of disappears when viewing the card from the side) but you can cut it to any size you want. You can also run the foam through your Xyron. As you can see, I use a good amount of foam to support the many layers.


Here the dimensional view with all of the layers attached. It's quite labor intensive, and not the most practical for mailing (I use a padded envie or special presentation box) but it's challenging and fun and always delights the recipient.


Now I know you all don't own a Cricut, but you can add dimension no matter what your style. Here is an adorable Tiddly Inks digi stamp I've printed several times, then fussy cut the features and popped them. This works for rubber stamped images as well. You do want to color the layers, however (at least the edges of them so it still looks nice when viewed from the side). this image had very little coloring, but you can always scan your colored image and print it out several times so you don't have to color multiple images.


And here's an example where the first embossed mat is popped as well as the Spellbinder's frame, the sweet kitty image from Peggy Loves Vintage, and the sentiment tag. Easy peasy, so my challenge for you is to add dimension to your card. You don't have to go as crazy as I do, but I would like to see at least 2 layers popped from your card base. The winner of the challenge will be chosen by Random org and will receive a $40 gift certificate to Custom Crops so let's get popping!

******************************************************************

Pretty cool, eh? I know I would be delighted to receive such a dimensional card in the mail! *hint* Are you ready to play along with your pop dots? That $40 gift certificate awaits one lucky participant! :) Share your creations via Inlinkz (located at the end of this post) by Friday May 6.

As always, please leave a little love for my guest Donna. :)

Share/Bookmark

Pin It

29 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwwwww! Donna's work is AWESOME!! I loveeeeeeeee the dimensions! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Piali said...

Love ,love love Donna's work!!! Absolutely beautiful!! Each card/creations looks like Pop up books!!

Rose said...

always LOVE Donna's work, and of course her love of cats! :)
thanks for the tip on the foam girl !!

Sherry Eckblad said...

awesome cards and I love how they pop. I might have to play along as that gift certificate is calling my name.

Cynthia Lloréns said...

I loved your blog everything here is very beautiful and your work is an inspiration!! Have a wonderful week.
I´m follower now !!
Hugs from Brazil
Cynthia

Alice said...

i love dimensions, but Donna's work is out of this world!! they are amazing! thanks for another fabulous guest designer, Yvonne! =)

RiNNE said...

This is too cool!!! Love Donna's style!

Dora said...

What a wonderful work, I have to much to do, but will take a look at her blog and will follow her...amazing work,tfs!

Robin said...

Love Donna's work.... and mine could certainly use some dimension! So fun!
Robin

Vasu said...

wow!!Her work is spectacular....really beutifull.....would love to try out...:)

mandysea said...

What amazing work!!! wow!

Jocelyn said...

I agree....amazing work.....I love each and every creation!!!!

Thanks for sharing with us today!!! :-)

~amy~ said...

**love donna's work**

Can't wait to play along!

Nadhrah Maidin said...

great guest designer u have it here. Incredible work!

scrapsnsuch@gmail.com said...

WHAT FUN!!! Amazing work and I imagine all of us would love to receive a card made by Donna. So many great tips too! Okay, I am playing along, who could resist???

Anita Kejriwal said...

you not only inspire us by bringing such creative talent to our knowledge but also reach to such creativity. thanks a ton!

Anonymous said...

wowsers!!! They are FAB!!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for introducing us to such talented designers...I have submitted my creation...hope it fits the bill.

CuddlyBunny said...

Donna of the Delightful Dimensions ... inspiring and a wee bit intimidating!

Thanks for sharing the details, especially mentioning that the foam can be run through a Zyron ... hadn't tried that one yet!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Donna! Thanks for picking it apart for us. It definitely helps to see all of the individual layers. Amazing job, as only you can do! The designs and details are amazing! TFS!!!

Kim H said...

Donna, Congrats on your Guest Dt! You know how much I just LOVE ALL your creations! This tutorial is just incredible! I can't even imagine the patience this takes! Thank YOu for taking the time and showing us how you achieve this AWESOME look! I hope to find time to play along!As always Thank You for always inpiring me and so many others!

Unknown said...

I am so excited to be entering this challenge this week. Donna's cards are amazing and I am always is awe over them! Thank you for the great tutorial, and introducing me to another fabulous blog!!:)

Kendra-Sue and Jamie said...

That is a fantastic tutorial. Thank you for the wonderful new way to do pop dots. Here I thought you had stock in a pop dots factory.

Melanie - The Paper Retreat said...

Beautiful creations Donna!

~JulieH~ said...

Donna your work is always amazing! You ARE the queen of dimension!!
Hugs
Juliexx

Nilda Rockenbach said...

You know I love your work Donna. Congrats on guest designing... I think I'll have time to do the challenge. Gotta get my thinking cap on. Hugs

Nilda

TesaB said...

AMAZING! Wow! The cards are wonderful, what a gorgeous style and fun technique!!!! Thanks for sharing, Donna!

Lisa said...

Fantastic tutorial Donna! Without it, I wouldn't have even attempted to do what you do. Now that I have given it a whirl, I continue to be amazed at your talent!! Whew, it was not as easy as you make it look :) Love love love your cards and thanks for sharing your technique. <3 Lisa

Spardha said...

Sorry for the late entry but thanks so much for the challenge.. learnt a LOT about my dear machine! :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It