Wednesday

A page from the Gratitude Journal - the yusheng from Kuriya Dining

 


Today's page from the gratitude journal is about the yusheng from Kuriya Dining (my fave local Japanese restaurant).

Yusheng is a raw fish salad dish typically eaten during the Chinese Lunar New Year in Singapore and Malaysia. There are lots of "auspicious" ingredients in this dish and we would gather around the table with our chopsticks to mix the ingredients together while exclaiming prosperous phrases. 

I love the one from Kuriya Dining because they include other sashimi seafood like prawns and scallops in addition to the raw fish...you know I love my sashimi. *winks*

P/s: It's not a historical Chinese practice but a marketing gimmick that really appeals because the Chinese character for fish is Yu which means abundance...so eating this dish signifies that you will get abundance for the year.

Share/Bookmark

Pin It

1 comments:

Cindy deRosier said...

I've never heard of Yusheng before. Thank you for the education!

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It