Thursday

An unhealthy obsession with watercolours...



So I may have an unhealthy obsession with watercolours....*winks*

I can pinky swear that I have not bought any watercolours since my trip to Japan earlier this year .... but that's because I bought a whole lot when I was there *see picture for evidence*.

Yes, that's just the stash I got in Japan...I also have the German Schmincke, the French Sennelier, the American Daniel Smith...and a whole lot of those craft-grade stuff too. Hence, an unhealthy obsession with watercolours.

An-unhealthy-obsession-with-watercolours1

What watercolours offer is the captivating interplay of brilliantly transparent pigments in water spreading over white watercolour paper. Sometimes you lose control of them like in my eye painting when I spilled water over the iris when it was still wet...*dramatic music plays in the background*.

Purists say that it is an unforgiving medium because when you go too dark, it is hard to "lift" the pigment off the paper. And that the white should not be painted in as an afterthought, it should be the white from the paper. Yes, you have to control the amount and flow of water, the transparency of the pigments and keep parts of the paper white.

Luckily, I'm a mixed media kind of girl so I saved my painting with coloured pencils and a white acrylic marker....who has time to apply masking fluid, right? *LOL*

What about you? What is your unhealthy obsession??


Share/Bookmark

Pin It

7 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

LOL!! You are so funny!!!! Well .. mine is buying collections (paper ones that is!) .. hence the mission this year! LOL!!!!!

SD pooja said...

OMG..its Stunning !! couldn't find trace of spilled water ;)

Cindy deRosier said...

At least you'll be prepared if there's ever a worldwide watercolor shortage! That's what I like to think about patterned paper.

Lisa said...

Wow, the eye is amazing!! It looks real!! My unhealthy obsession is dies...I buy them with frightening regularity!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

HappyMomentzz by Sharada Dilip said...

Wow you have a lovely collection and I truly understand your obsession. Being a Hobby butterfly I keep exploring new things and buying and hoarding as theres no tomorrow and Can't decide which one should I prioritise ! This year I had been following no shopping policy but again mid year I gave up and bought in the name of new craft :P ! sorry for the rant :P
cheers enjoy your obsession !!

Audrey Pettit said...

Wow, I am always so completely mesmerized by your painted eyes! How stunning!

rushessay reviews said...

I like to paint too! Art is my therapy. But im particularly fond of oil paints. They’re really fun. Although sometimes I blend in a mixture of both water colours and oil paints to give a good texture.

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It