Monday

My modus operandi for a mixed media canvas...:)


My-modus-operandi-for-a-mixed-media-canvas

One of my fave things to make is a mixed media canvas. It allows me to think of creative ways to use up things that would otherwise end up in the trash. Here is my modus operandi for a mixed media canvas...


I like to start with a layer of wrapping tissue  (from packaging) which I adhere with matte medium. It provides visual and tactile texture without being bumpy. Then I adhere remnant lace over it. When that dries, I go over it with a layer of gesso to prep the surface for colorants. If I want to retain the original colour of my background, I go with clear gesso, otherwise, I go with white gesso.


Next, I choose 3 colours that I want to play with and start misting my substrate. I spray water to "move" my colorants along the canvas. You can tilt your canvas to get the colorants into the grooves of the textured substrate and use a paper towel to soak up the excess. Here I used orange, yellow and pink.

When you are happy with how the canvas looks, let it air dry.  


Next, I add a little gesso to the raised surfaces to allow the patterns to "pop".  And yes, I wear gloves for this! :)


Then it's time for my fave part of the whole process - auditioning embellishments! This is where the advantage of using 3 colours comes into play. I could go with different shades of the same colours or pick contrasting colours.


Since the pink was very subtle in the background, I used a bright pink tulle bloom as my focal point.


I chose elements of different dimensions and textures to create visual interest in the piece - there's shimmer cardstock, chipboard, sequins, paper blooms, resin and fabric.


To unify the piece, I sprayed a pearl mist for all-over shimmer.


If I were to give the piece away, I might consider adding a quote or a monogram to personalize it.


Happy week ahead friends! :)



Share/Bookmark

Pin It

6 comments:

Lizzy Hill said...

Nice walk through of your process.... loved seeing it coming together on social media too:) Really like your tuille bright pink flower. Lovely focal point!!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

You are amazing! This is gorgeous! I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee the colors!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa said...

Absolutely stunning!! I love seeing your creative process in action!! Love, love this my friend!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Mitralee said...

quite delicious! Lucky bird to have been chosen for this piece! hugs!

Shylaashree said...

easily understandable steps dear. thanks for sharing this beautiful MM canvas

Audrey Pettit said...

So beautiful! I love all the layers and the texture with the paste and lace! And you always embellish so beautifully!

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It