Friday

How to make your photo the focal point on a busy layout.



Big breakfast

Patterns and colours can be busy and distracting on a layout...totally taking the focus off the main subject - the photo. Today I want to share some tips on how to make your photo the focal point on a busy layout.


Photobucket

I started off with this...a masked and misted cardstock background in colours inspired by the patterned papers, bits and pieces of patterned papers including a fussy-cut jar and balloons, ribbon, twine and a paper clip. Pretty busy I would say.


Photobucket

1. Embellish around the photo with a grounding colour.

I chose black. Rub-ons around the photo, on the cut-out jar, just off the photo [the bird], a black brad and some journaling with a black pen.



Photobucket


2. Add some texture in solid colours.

As I did with my title work.

Photobucket

3. Add some fun dimensional elements. 

I added a wooden tag, a charm and some heart bling with some distress stickles in rock candy for a little sparkle.

There you have it, 3 ways to make your photo the focal point on a busy layout. What do you think?

Supplies: American Crafts patterned papers, rub-ons, stickers and thickers, Maya Mists, The Twinery twine, Ranger distress stickles in rock candy, ribbon, brad, button, black pen, charm and thread.


Share/Bookmark

Pin It

30 comments:

Creations by Shirl said...

You are so amazing with this type of creativity Yvonne...
Love your ideas and the way you just plan out your layouts.....

Laurel said...

I love this, love the jar and the twine!

~amy~ said...

Gorgeous!!!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I loveeeeee the tips Yvonne!!! And I loveeeeeeee your lo!! LOVING the colors and the jar... and hehehehehehe... you totally guessed right about my photo practicing!! *wink*

Lynnda said...

*clever*!

What a candy-licious layout!!! !!! .... bright candy and cheery colors... makes me want to eat this!!! Slurp!!!... HUgs...xoxo

Hussena said...

oh i love this ..the jar is so cute and i love the jewelled hearts and way you have misted the Bg...thank you so much for the tips...will keep it in mind when creating an Lo:)

Unknown said...

Such great tips.. And what a pretty page. It has such a happy feel to it!!

Hugs, Linda

Erum Tasneem said...

i love your misting!!! i neeed to do this, i say that all the time and never actually try it. BUT i will. someday. Excellent tips Y, awesome LO.

MirjamC said...

gorgeous page and thanks for the tips!!!

mandysea said...

what fabulous tips Yvonne! Love the jar and twine with the little hearts. Great colour too!

Sherry Eckblad said...

I love all the details you put into each and every layout and this one is no exception. How long does a layout like this usually take you to create?

sandi said...

Oh how sweet! Love the upbeat, fun look of this one!

Maggi said...

Excellent tips for drawing our your focal point, I have to remember these!

Cindy deRosier said...

What a difference! I love that you showed the busy layout before using the three tips. Great suggestions!

Annette Allen said...

such an awesome layout...and that food looks so yummy...great color...

Have a wonderful weekend...

Unknown said...

This is a gorgeous LO and fantastic tips.thanks for educating people like me.

Ella Swan said...

That sure is a gigantic breakfast Yvonne!! And I just love the little jar - can't wait for mine to arrive!! Great ideas & little tut - have a great weekend xx

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Fabulous!!! I just inked up this jar... about to share :)

Rose said...

fantastic!!! i love the jar :)

Isha Gupta said...

You always amaze me with your creativity Yvonne. Wonderful tips. TFS

Romina Nahata said...

wow ! fantastic !!thanks for sharing !!

Anne Pennington said...

I think you have showcased that photo perfectly! I love the misitng and the colours! I'd love to see some of your work with our challenges at another Freaking challenge ...

Alice said...

always love how you make your photos stand out on a busy background like this. thanks for sharing the tips. did you make the "e" with an "o"? =) love this fun and delightful layout, Yvonne! don't you love those yummy neapolitan paper? =) hope you have a lovely weekend!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Amazing work there, and the tips are certainly helpful, thanks!!!!!

Angi Barrs said...

Fabulous page. I love the mason jar and twine. :)

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

LOVE this LO--thanks for the tips!

scrapsnsuch@gmail.com said...

Once again you make it so easy. This is one of your specialties - I am always amazed with how many elements you add yet the photos are still the focal point.

papertrails leaver said...

what a fun layout! Love the bright colors!

Lynnda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Audrey Pettit said...

Totally adorable!

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It