Thursday

10 Ideas for incorporating black and white photos with coloured photos on your layouts



You know how much I love to incorporate both black and white photos and coloured photos on my layouts. Sometimes it's because I don't have very well-taken shots - turning them into black and white tends to eliminate lighting problems - other times, it's because I have similar consecutive shots and want to differentiate them.  Or sometimes I just use the contrast as a design element to create interest on my layouts. Here are some ideas for incorporating black and white photos with coloured photos on your layouts.

The-one-about-carrying-Zoe-(and-not-making-her-cry)
The one about carrying Zoe (and not making her cry)
1. Use the contrast in photos to depict two separate time frames.

On this layout, the coloured photo features me with my niece Z while the black and white photo depicts my sister E with my niece Z. The photos were taken a day apart with the coloured white taken at night (note light reflections on hair) while the black and white photo was taken the next day in natural daylight.

Since it was difficult (time-consuming) to adjust the photos to "match", I just printed them in different colour formats and used embellishments to create a somewhat cohesive layout.

Someone-had-2-mains-for-dinner
Someone had 2 mains for dinner (not me!)

2.  Do a "before" and "after".


This layout features my sister E looking very "sad" in the black and white photo because her main arrived much smaller than expected while the coloured photo features her looking much happier with the considerably bigger second main she ordered.

The-heat-wave-adventure
The heat wave adventure
3. "Save" a decent photo from lighting issues.

I love the photo of my sister and I except for the glaring light in the background which got considerably toned down once the photo was converted to black and white. Not perfect but our faces still looked decent [that's my story and I'm sticking to it! *LOL*]


The-one-about-the-vidal-sassoon-hair
The one about the vidal saasoon hair
4. Make one in a series of photos the focal point with the contrast.

Here I wanted to feature several consecutive shots of my nephew E before we got to "the ONE".  :)


We-went-to-Universal-Studios-Singapore
We went to Universal Studios Singapore!
5. Use black and white photos to tone down a colourful layout.

Sometimes when you try to fit a few large photos (4x6) on a single page, along with a whole lot of other colourful elements, the eye can get a bit lost...help it along by toning down the layout with some black and white photos.


Chocolate-spells-love-in-any-language
Chocolate spells love in any language
6. Create a "dreamy" feel with your not-so-perfect photos.

Here we had some lighting issues with the photos we took at nephew #1's birthday party which I discovered only after we ate the cake (hahaha!). Thanks to Photoshop, I did salvage some photos to scrapbook. I lowered the contrast levels for a "dreamy" feel to the photos and then used bold colours on the rest of the layout. Could you tell???

The-one-about-the-lemon-curd-tarts
The one about the lemon curd tarts
7. Downplay a "not-so-great" shot.

Here on this layout, I had a shot of the folks eating the lemon curd tarts that wasn't that great but since it helped to tell the story a little better, I had to incorporate it. I just toned it down by converting the shot to black and white and reducing the contrast levels.

The-Tupperware-party
The Tupperware Party
8. Salvage an outtake.

Well you know my struggles with taking photos of the Gangster Gang (aka niece + 3 nephews) so I usually have more outtakes than decent shots. Here, nephew #1 was still smiling happily at the camera so I "salvaged" the photo by framing his face...and you can still see the rest of the background action with nephew #2 and the niece.*winks*


Afternoon-tea
Afternoon tea
9. A black and white photo can really "pop" on a neutral background.

When the rest of your elements are fairly neutral, incorporating a high contrast black and white photo can really make the photo stand out.

We-are-family
My new "skill" ,....and a challenge winner!
10. Play with the photo sizes to help draw the eye to the focal point.

Print your focal point in larger size to really help the eye zoom in on your main photo. Here I printed the outtakes of nephew #3 and the niece in black and white in a smaller size so as to not detract from that cute main photo. But the outtakes do help to tell the story on my layout  (plus they were so cute!) so I incorporated them. :)


There you have it. 10 ideas for incorporating black and white photos with coloured photos on your layouts. Which one is your fave?


Share/Bookmark

Pin It

8 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

These are AWESOME ideas!!!!!

Lisa said...

They're all so amazing and creative and spectacular!! Fabulous tips, too!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Doreen Vasquez said...

Beautiful fun layouts...all of them! Love the idea of mixing color w/ B&W.
This is my first visit to your blog, despite years of seeing you comment on Cindy's blog,and I am in awe of your talent (why did I wait so long ::doh::!)
New Follower!

Cindy deRosier said...

Geez, Doreen, it's about time! ;) Yvonne is awesome. Love the tips for B/W. I think my favorite is now & then, or before & after.

Doreen Vasquez said...

Cindy - Hahahahahaha! Too funny and too true!

Lynn said...

Picking a favorite layout is like asking me to pick my favorite child. There is something special in each one.

Audrey Pettit said...

Love your ideas, Yvonne! Such great tips for incorporating those less than perfect photos, or uniting photos that don't otherwise match. And of course all your layout designs are absolutely adorable, too!

Assignment Help Online said...

I enthusiastically urge you to persist in sharing additional informative articles in the future. Your contributions are leaving a positive mark, and we are eagerly anticipating further opportunities to learn and derive enjoyment from your work. Once more, thank you for your unwavering dedication and for enhancing our understanding with your content. I urge you to continue the outstanding work by presenting more enlightening articles like this. Your contributions are truly impactful, and we anticipate delving into more of your insights in the days ahead. Need assistance with your assignment? No need to look any further! Your search culminates here, as we deliver unparalleled science assignment help in your vicinity. With a roster of over 2000 assignment experts, we stand ready to guide you through your academic journey. Have questions? Feel free to get in touch.

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It